We are currently performing research on a variety of projects for improved understanding of coccidioidomycosis, cryptococcosis, and aspergillosis using existing patient data. Please see below for a list of publications on fungal diseases of dogs and cats from our team.
1. Bromel C, Sykes JE. Epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of blastomycosis in dogs and cats. Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 2005;20:233-9.
2. Bromel C, Sykes JE. Histoplasmosis in dogs and cats. Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 2005;20:227-32.
3. Davidson AP, Shubitz LF, Alcott CJ, Sykes JE. Selected clinical features of coccidioidomycosis in dogs. Med Mycol 2019;57:S67-S75.
4. Dear JD, Sykes JE, Bannasch DL. Quality of DNA extracted from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded canine tissues. J Vet Diagn Invest 2020;32:556-9.
5. Firacative C, Roe CC, Malik R, et al. MLST and whole-genome-based population analysis of Cryptococcus gattii VGIII links clinical, veterinary and environmental strains, and reveals divergent serotype specific sub-populations and distant ancestors. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2016;10:e0004861
6. Garcia RS, Wheat LJ, Cook AK, et al. Sensitivity and specificity of a blood and urine galactomannan antigen assay for diagnosis of systemic aspergillosis in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26, 911-919.
7. Grayzel SE, Martinez-Lopez B, Sykes JE. Risk factors and spatial distribution of canine coccidioidomycosis in California, 2005-2013. Transbound Emerg Dis 2017;64:1110-9.
8. Grayzel SE, Thompson GR, Martinez-Lopez B, Dechant JE, McHardy I, Sykes JE. Coccidioidomycosis in llamas and alpacas diagnosed at the University of California, Davis (1990-2016). Med Mycol 2020.
9. Groff JM, Mok MY, Kubiski S, et al. Phaeohyphomycosis due to Veronaea botryosa in cultured white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontasus Richardson) from California USA during 2005 to 2015. J Fish Dis 2021;44:793-801.
10. Reagan KL, Dear JD, Kass PH, Sykes JE. Risk factors for Candida urinary tract infections in dogs and cats. J Vet Intern Med 2019;33:648-53.
11. Reagan KL, McHardy I, Thompson GR, 3rd, Sykes JE. Evaluation of the clinical performance of 2 point-of-care cryptococcal antigen tests in dogs and cats. J Vet Intern Med 2019;33:2082-9.
12. Reagan KL, McHardy I, Thompson GR, 3rd, Sykes JE. Clinical performance of a point-of-care Coccidioides antibody test in dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2021;35:965-9.
13. Reagan KL, Wheat LJ, Sykes JE. Effect of an oral probiotic nutraceutical containing Aspergillus-derived ingredients on a serum and urine galactomannan antigen assay in dogs. Vet J 2020;265:105551.
14. Schultz RM, Johnson EG, Wisner ER, Brown NA, Byrne BA, Sykes JE. Clinicopathologic and diagnostic imaging characteristics of systemic aspergillosis in 30 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 2008;22:851-9.
15. Smith KM, Strom AR, Gilmour MA, et al. Utility of antigen testing for the diagnosis of ocular histoplasmosis in four cats: a case series and literature review. J Feline Med Surg 2017;19:1110-8.
16. Sykes JE, Hodge G, Singapuri A, Yang ML, Gelli A, Thompson GR, 3rd. In vivo development of fluconazole resistance in serial Cryptococcus gattii isolates from a cat. Med Mycol 2017;55:396-401.
17. Sykes JE, Sturges BK, Cannon MS, et al. Clinical signs, imaging features, neuropathology, and outcome in cats and dogs with central nervous system cryptococcosis from California. J Vet Intern Med 2010;24:1427-38.
18. Thompson GR, 3rd, Albert N, Hodge G, et al. Phenotypic differences of Cryptococcus molecular types and their implications for virulence in a Drosophila model of infection. Infect Immun 2014;82:3058-65.
19. Trivedi SR, Sykes JE, Cannon MS, et al. Clinical features and epidemiology of cryptococcosis in cats and dogs in California: 93 cases (1988-2010). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2011;239:357-69.
20. Vishkautsan P, Papich MG, Thompson GR, et al. Pharmacokinetics of voriconazole after intravenous and oral administration to healthy cats. Am J Vet Res 2016;77: 931-939.
21. Vu K, Thompson GR, 3rd, Roe CC, et al. Flucytosine resistance in Cryptococcus gattii is indirectly mediated by the FCY2-FCY1-FUR1 pathway. Med Mycol 2018;56:857-67.